Crossovers and SUVs are the fastest growing vehicle category in global automobile market, with sales constantly on the rise. In recent times the crossovers/ SUVs have become so popular that analysts believe they will overtake sedans (currently the most popular category) in terms of sales volume in near future.
In 2017, crossovers and SUVs sales went up 12.7% to 27.85 million reaching a new record market share at 34% of the global passenger car market. This is an 11.5% growth in just 3 years, as just 16.66 million crossovers and SUVs were sold in 2014. And there is still plenty of growth expected, as their share in emerging markets is still below 25% but growing at a rapid pace.
The largest market for crossovers and SUVs was China with more than 10 million vehicles sold last year, up 13% accounting to a share of 41.5% of the global market.
Why are the SUVs becoming so popular?
There are a few reasons why crossover and SUVs are becoming rapidly popular in every market across the globe.
- The commanding seating position makes you feel high and mighty. And who doesn’t enjoy such a feeling? Sitting up higher, you can see further down the road. Sometimes, you can even see over other traffic, which can help you to prepare for hazards ahead and avoid trouble.
- They say space is the ultimate luxury. So there is a phenomenal headroom and legroom for the passengers in an SUV. Most SUVs can seat up to 7 people so they can be used as people movers whenever required.
- In an SUV, you can carry all sorts of stuff which in case of an ordinary sedan or hatchback, you are unable to. Thanks to the flexible and removable seating options. No matter what adventure you are going on, you won’t have to worry about leaving anything behind when you are packing.
- SUVs have that ‘go anywhere’ feel, even if the SUV will never see a meter of dirt. We all like to feel as if we have access to all areas. Due to high ground clearance, larger tires, and powerful engines under the hood, the SUVs can literally go anywhere, everywhere.
- The ease of ingress and egress- it’s much easier to get in and out of a crossover/ SUV compared to any sedan or hatchback.
- There was a time when SUVs had a bad reputation for high fuel consumption. However modern SUVs come with sophisticated fuel efficient and often turbocharged engine options which are not only powerful but are easy on pocket too.
- SUVs are safer than sedans or hatchbacks. No matter how equipped a standard sedan or hatchback, it will be on a losing end in event of a collision with an SUV. It’s just a matter of physics.
In Pakistan too, most newcomers are preparing to tap the market with their SUV offerings instead of conventional sedans or hatchbacks, and it’s easy to understand why. From the looks of it, a few years down the line, crossover and SUVs like other parts of the world, will become a common sight on our roads too.